Your Wyze thermostat might be heating instead of cooling if there is a malfunction in your heat pump system. An outdated Wyze thermostat firmware can also make the thermostat heat instead of cool.
For details on how to troubleshoot this issue, keep reading.
How to Troubleshoot a Wyze Thermostat that is Heating Instead of Cooling?
Here are some fixes to try if your Wyze thermostat is heating instead of cooling:
1. Download the Latest Firmware Version for Your Wyze Thermostat
If your Wyze thermostat is heating instead of cooling, your thermostat might be running on an outdated firmware version.
Outdated Wyze firmware versions often contain bugs. These bugs may cause the thermostat to wrongly activate your heater instead of your AC when your room temperature rises above the set limit. As a result, your Wyze thermostat will start blowing hot air instead of cool air.
To fix this problem, you’ll need to update your Wyze thermostat firmware.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Wyze app. Next, click on the Account tab at the bottom of the home screen.
- Select Firmware Update. Then follow the instructions in the app to complete the upgrade.
Your Wyze thermostat should stop heating and start cooling after the firmware update.
If the issue persists, try the next troubleshooting step.
2. Swap Heat and Cool in the Wyze App
Usually, the Wyze thermostat turns on your AC when the temperature in your home rises. But if you are using a heat pump system, your AC may blow hot air occasionally.
When your heat pump AC is blowing hot air, your heating system may also blow cool air if you switch it on.
You can resolve this issue by swapping heat to cool in the Wyze app. Doing this will automatically change the output that your AC and heater produce. Also, you won’t need to alternate the position of their corresponding RC (Red Cooling) and RH (Red Heating) wires in the thermostat.
Follow these steps to Swap Heat and Cool in the Wyze app:
- Open the Wyze app on your smartphone.
- Click on the Settings icon on the home screen.
- Then, select Advanced Settings.
- Now, scroll to Swap Heat and Cool tab and tap the switch beside the tab to turn it on. The system will save the changes.
If your Wyze thermostat is still blowing hot air instead of cool after you’ve swapped Hot and Cool, continue to the next step.
3. Factory Reset Your Wyze Thermostat
If your Wyze thermostat is still heating after you’ve tried the tips above, you may need to factory reset the device.
Take the following steps to factory reset your Wyze thermostat:
- Press and hold the control button on the Wyze thermostat for 10 seconds. The control button is usually located at the side of the thermostat.
- The Wyze thermostat will go off. Then, it will turn back on after a few seconds.
- Your thermostat will start resetting.
After factory resetting the Wyze thermostat, don’t reconnect it to the Wyze app yet. Instead, detach the thermostat’s wires from the terminals on the device. Then, re-install them after a few minutes. In case the issue is caused by the thermostat’s wiring, detaching and re-installing it should fix the problem.
Follow these steps to detach and re-install your Wyze thermostat’s wires to the terminals on the device:
- Go to your electric circuit panel and switch off your circuit breaker. You’ll also need to turn off the circuit breaker for your Wyze thermostat.
- Carefully hold and pull the thermostat from the wall. This will expose the terminals on your thermostat and the wires connected to them.
- Hold and push down on the lever in each terminal to remove the wires connected to them.
- Once you’ve pulled all the wires from their corresponding terminals, take a step back. Then, wait for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, push down the terminal’s levers and re-insert each wire.
- Remount the Wyze thermostat after reconnecting all the wires to their appropriate terminals.
- To remount the thermostat, attach the device over its terminals. Then, keep pushing the thermostat onto the wall until you hear a snap.
After you’ve reattached your Wyze thermostat’s wires to the wall, you can reconnect the device to the Wyze app.
The following guide will show you how to reconnect the Wyze thermostat to your Wyze app:
- Switch on Bluetooth on your smartphone.
- Next, open the Wyze app and tap Home.
- Tap on the plus (+) sign at the top of the home screen.
- Then, click on Add Device.
- Select Home and select Wyze Thermostat.
- Now, click on Begin Preparation.
- The app will show you how to connect your wires to the Wyze thermostat. Since you have already performed this aspect, you can skip to the next step.
- Next, the app will start looking for your Wyze thermostat. The app will automatically pair with the thermostat when it finds it.
- After the pairing is complete, you’ll be asked to enter a Wi-Fi network name and password.
- Enter the correct name and password of your Wi-Fi network to complete the process.
After reconnecting your thermostat to the Wyze app, return to your electric panel and turn on the breakers for your thermostat and HVAC. Then, wait for your Wyze thermostat to start working.
Your Wyze thermostat will start cooling your room after it turns on.
If your Wyze thermostat is heating instead of cooling, update the device’s firmware version. Then, swap heat and cool on the thermostat using the Wyze app. If this doesn’t help, factory reset the device.
Your Wyze thermostat should stop heating and start cooling after factory resetting and reconnecting the device to the Wyze app.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot the Wyze Person detection failure in a Wyze Camera.