Just what the title says, in this post, I’m going to walk you through the steps to change code length on your Schlage Encode Deadbolt.
If you’re also looking to remove/add new User Codes manually, this post is your go-to resource. Let’s get started.
How to Change Code Length on a Schlage Encode Deadbolt?
The Schlage Encode Wi-Fi Deadbolt allows users to change a User Code length manually and via the app on your phone. However, in his guide, we’ll only show you how to change the User Code length on your Schlage Encode Lock manually (through the lock itself).
Before we head over to the instructions, note that changing a User Code length will delete all other User Codes in the lock. That is, if you change the length of one User Code, all codes in the lock will be deleted, so you may need to add new User Codes.
That said, here are the steps to follow to change code length on your Schlage Encode Deadbolt:
- Enter the Programming Code of your lock via the lock’s keypad/touchpad.
- Long press the number you want to change your code length to. For instance, if you want to change the code length to 8 digits, press and hold key 8. If you’re changing the code length to 4 digits, press and hold key 4.
- Press the Check mark button on the keypad/touchpad—while still holding the number you want to change the code length to.
- Release the number. Next, press the Check mark button to complete the operation.
Now you’ve changed the code length on your Schlage Encode Deadbolt. As mentioned earlier, all other User Codes in the lock will be deleted after changing a User Code length, so you’ll need to add new User Codes.
If you’re not sure how to manually add User Codes on your Schlage Encode Wi-Fi Deadbolt, continue to the next paragraphs.
How to Add New Users Codes on your Schlage Encode?
Here is how to do that:
- Enter the current Programming Code (6-digit code) of your lock via the keypad/touchpad.
- Enter a new User Code (4 to 8 digits). Next, press the Check mark button.
- Re-enter the new User Code and press the Check mark button.
Your new User Code is now active, and you can use it to lock/unlock the deadbolt. If you want to add more codes, repeat the steps.
How to Delete a User Code on your Schlage Encode Deadbolt?
Here is how to completely delete any User Code on your Schlage Encode:
- Enter the Programming Code. Next, enter the User Code you want to remove.
- Press the X mark button on the keypad/touchpad.
- Enter the User Code you want to remove again. Then press the Check mark button to complete the process.
So the code is removed. To confirm if the code is removed, try to unlock the deadbolt with the User Code. If it doesn’t, that shows the code is deleted.
So that’s how to change code length on your Schlage Encode manually, add/delete codes. If you’re having trouble doing this with the guidelines above, chances are your Schlage Encode Lock has been previously programmed via a mobile app.
If your lock has been previously programmed through a mobile app (Schlage Home app or other third party apps), manual programming won’t work on the lock.
However, you can restore factory settings on the lock if you want to program it manually. If you’re not sure how to restore factory settings on your Schlage Encode, keep reading.
How to Restore Factory Settings on Schlage Encode Deadbolt?
First, you’ll need to find the default Programming Code because you’ll use it to program the lock after performing the reset. The default Programming Code can be found on the back of the Quick Start Guide that came with your lock—on a white sticker.
If the Quick Start Guide is not handy, take off the battery cover from the lock to find the default Programming Code—on a white label next to the Reset button.
If you’ve found the code, you can now proceed with the reset.
Follow the steps below to restore factory settings on your Schlage Encode:
- On the interior assembly of the lock, remove the battery cover.
- Long press the Reset button (a black circle button). Now the status LED on the lock will flash red. Keep holding the Reset button until the LED light stops flashing red.
- Next, wait for 10 seconds for the LED to light solid blue. If the light turns solid blue, the reset is complete.
Note that all your custom programming will be erased after the reset. So, you’ll need to reprogram the lock—remove the default codes, add new User Codes, etc. You can follow the instructions above to remove and add new User Codes. And if you want to change the default Programming Code, see the next paragraph.
How to Change the Programming Code on a Schlage Encode?
To change the Programming Code (6 digit code) on your Schlage Encode, follow these steps:
- Enter the default Programming Code—the one you want to change.
- Enter the default Programming again. Next, enter a new 6-digit code of your choice.
- Re-enter the new code. Next, press the Check mark button to complete the operation.
- You’ve changed the Programming Code, and you can now use the new code to program your lock from now on.
So those are the steps to follow to change code length on your Schlage Encode and delete/add User Codes.
Note that you can’t program the lock manually if it’s already programmed via a mobile app. If this is the case with you, restore default settings on the lock to enable you to program it manually.
You may also like to see how to change the code on a Schlage Keypad Lock if you’ve lost your Programming Code.