Changing the Wi-Fi network on your Smart Plug depends on the app you set up the smart plug with. However, in this post, we will show you a method that works for all smart plugs regardless of the app you used.
If that sounds like what you’re looking for, let’s head right into it.
How to Change the Wi-Fi on Your Smart Plug?
To change the Wi-Fi network on your Smart Plug, perform a factory reset on the plug, then set up the plug again. This way, you can connect the plug to a new Wi-Fi network during setup.
You can reset your Smart Plug by pressing and holding the power button for about 10 seconds—until the LED light blinks. The power button (for most Smart Plugs) is located on the side of the device.
Note that you’ll need to set up the Smart Plug again and connect to a new Wi-Fi network. If you’re not sure how to set up your Smart Plug, keep reading.
How to Set Up Your Smart Plug After Performing a Reset?
The setup process may vary—depending on your brand of smart plug or the app you’re using. However, in this post, we’re going to show you how to set up your Smart Plug with the Smart Life App. Let’s begin.
Here are the steps to follow to set up a Smart Plug—using the Smart Life App:
- Ensure your Smart Plug is plugged into a working outlet and the indicator light blinking rapidly. If it isn’t blinking, press and hold the reset button until it blinks (this shows the plug is in pairing mode).
- Open the Smart Life app on your phone. Next, log in with your existing information (email and password).
- Tap the Plus (+) icon in the top right corner of the home screen. Alternatively, you can scroll down and tap “Add Device”.
- Tap the “Socket” icon in the app. Next, the app will ask you to confirm that your plug is blinking rapidly (showing it’s in pairing mode).
- If it’s blinking rapidly, tap the confirmation message on the screen. If it’s not blinking, long-press the power button for a few seconds—until it blinks before you tap the confirmation message.
- Enter your new Wi-Fi information. The plug will connect to your new Wi-Fi after a few seconds. Next, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup.
So that’s all you need to do to set up your Smart Plug after the reset. Note that the instructions above are for Smart Life App users. If you’re using a different app, you may need to do some research for setup instructions or refer to the plug’s user manual.
More so, you may have to set up your plug with Alexa and Google Home again after the reset. If you’re not sure how to do this, refer to your user manual or try googling it.
While some Smart Plugs or Apps allow users to change the Wi-Fi connection within the app, a lot of them do not have this option. So, a simple and quick way to change the Wi-Fi network on your Smart Plug is to reset the plug. Then set it up again and connect to a new Wi-Fi network.
However, this method will remove all your previous settings, so you’ll have to set up the plug again after the reset. For instance, if your Smart Plug was connected to Alexa, Google Home, HomeKit, etc., you’ll have to set all of these up again after the reset.
So that’s it! Hope this article was helpful, and you could change the Wi-Fi network on your Smart Plug.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connection issues in C by GE Smart Plug.