If your Honeywell thermostat’s screen becomes blank after you’ve just changed the batteries, it might be because of the following reasons:
- You didn’t insert the batteries correctly.
- You installed the wrong batteries.
- Issues with the thermostat’s wiring.
- Your furnace door is open.
- Your circuit breaker has tripped off.
That said, let’s look at what you can do to resolve this issue.
Honeywell Thermostat Blank Screen After Changing Batteries: Try These Troubleshooting Steps
1. Check and Insert the Batteries Correctly
Your Honeywell thermostat may get a blank screen after you’ve just replaced your batteries because you didn’t insert your new batteries correctly.
To solve this problem, open your thermostat’s battery compartment and place the batteries properly (observing polarity markings — +/-). You should also ensure that the batteries fit snugly into the compartment.
Once you are sure that you’ve inserted the batteries correctly, cover the battery compartment. If your thermostat’s screen is still blank, try the next step.
2. Check that You Inserted the Right Batteries
A blank screen may also appear on your Honeywell thermostat if you insert the wrong batteries.
Your thermostat only supports AA and AAA batteries. If your new batteries are neither of these types, remove them from the thermostat. Get AA or AAA batteries (depending on the model of your Honeywell thermostat) and insert them into the device.
Is your Honeywell thermostat’s screen still blank? If so, continue to the next step.
3. Reset Your Honeywell Thermostat
Your thermostat’s screen may become blank because the device encountered an error. In that case, resetting the device should resolve the issue.
Here’s how to reset your Honeywell thermostat:
- Press your thermostat’s switch to turn it off.
- Hold your thermostat. Then pull it from its mounting plate.
- Turn to the back of the thermostat to see the batteries. Take all the batteries out.
- Turn your batteries upside down. Then put them back into the battery compartment in that position.
- Wait 5 seconds. Then remove the batteries again.
- Put them back in their correct position (following the correct battery polarity +/-).
- Now, re-insert the batteries into their compartment.
- Some information will appear on your thermostat’s screen.
- Re-mount the thermostat to the wall.
Your thermostat should now display its home screen.
If your thermostat’s screen remained unresponsive while you were resetting the device, go to the next tip.
4. Fix Your Honeywell Thermostat’s Wiring
Your thermostat may also go blank if any of the wires are removed or pinched. Perhaps you altered your Honeywell thermostat’s wiring while replacing its batteries.
If your Honeywell thermostat’s screen becomes blank after you change your batteries, inspect your wiring. Look closely at your wires to know if they have moved out of place. If some wires are out of place, rearrange them properly.
You’ll also need to check if any wires are touching each other. Separate any wires you notice colliding with each other.
If your Honeywell thermostat doesn’t turn on after this, continue to the next tip.
5. Close Your Furnace Door
Your furnace has a safety switch that comes on when you open its door. This switch automatically turns off your fan and thermostat to prevent a fire outbreak.
If your Honeywell thermostat’s screen is blank, the safety switch in your furnace may have turned the thermostat off.
To resolve this problem, close your furnace door. Your thermostat should now turn on. However, if the device’s screen remains blank, check the next tip.
6. Flip On Your Circuit Breaker
A power outage may cause your circuit breaker to trip. As a result, your thermostat’s screen will go blank.
If your Honeywell thermostat’s screen becomes blank after a battery change, check your circuit breaker. If the breaker is in the Off position, move it to the On position.
If your thermostat’s screen is still blank, go to the final tip.
7. Talk to Honeywell Support
If your thermostat’s screen remains blank after you’ve applied all the solutions above, reach out to the Honeywell support team. The support team should provide a solution that will resolve this issue.
If your Honeywell thermostat’s screen goes blank after you replace your batteries, ensure that you’ve inserted the batteries correctly. Then check if you are using the right batteries.
If the thermostat’s screen is still blank, reset the device. You may also need to fix the thermostat’s wiring.
Other solutions you can try are closing your furnace door and flipping on your circuit breaker.
If none of these tips work, report the issue to the support team at Honeywell.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot related problems in a Lennox iComfort Thermostat and Braeburn Thermostat.