If your Geeni light bulb is flashing, it could mean that the bulb is resetting or getting ready to pair with the Geeni app.
However, random flashes from your Geeni light bulb may also point to a fault in the device.
In this article, we’ll show you how to fix your bulb if it keeps flashing randomly. Let’s dive in.
Geeni Light Bulb Flashing: How to Troubleshoot
1. Remove and Re-Insert Your Bulb into its Light Slot
If your Geeni bulb keeps flashing, you may not have installed the bulb properly in its slot. Perhaps you didn’t screw it in tightly.
To fix this issue, remove and re-insert the bulb into its light slot. Ensure you screw the bulb in properly.
Note that removing your Geeni bulb from its light slot will disconnect it from Wi-Fi. That said, you’ll need to restart the setup process for the bulb in the Geeni app after re-inserting it into the light slot.
Your Geeni bulb may stop flashing after you’ve installed the device properly. But if it keeps flashing, continue to the next tip.
2. Change the Light Slot
If your Geeni Light Bulb keeps flashing randomly, the current light slot might be faulty.
Try removing the bulb from its current light slot and insert it into another light slot.
After inserting it into a new light slot, the bulb should start blinking every 3 seconds. This means the bulb is ready to pair with the Geeni app. Open the Geeni app and tap Add Device to re-connect your bulb to the app.
If your Geeni bulb still flashes after inserting it into another light slot, try the next tip.
3. Re-connect Your Geeni Bulb to Wi-Fi
If your Geeni bulb suddenly starts flashing, chances are the device has disconnected from Wi-Fi. This might occur because your Wi-Fi network encountered an error. As such, you’ll need to reboot the router.
But first, you need to check the Geeni app to know if the bulb has really disconnected from Wi-Fi. You’ll see the message Device Offline beside your bulb if it isn’t connected to Wi-Fi.
If your Geeni bulb is no longer connected to Wi-Fi, reboot your router. To reboot your router, unplug the device from its power outlet. Then wait for 10 minutes before re-plugging it into the outlet.
After rebooting your router, you’ll need to re-connect the bulb to Wi-Fi.
Take the following steps to re-connect your Geeni bulb to Wi-Fi:
- Open your Geeni app. Then tap the bulb in the app.
- Next, click on Forget This Device to delete your bulb from the app.
- Now, go to the Devices screen and select the plus (+) sign to re-add the bulb to the Geeni app. Then tap Smart Lighting.
- The device will start blinking. Follow the instructions in the app to continue the setup process.
- When you get to the Wi-Fi setup page, tap your Wi-Fi network and input the password.
- Then click on the Connect button to re-connect the bulb to Wi-Fi.
If your Geeni bulb keeps flashing after you’ve re-connected the device to Wi-Fi, move on to the next tip.
4. Delete and Reinstall the Geeni App on Your Phone
A bug in the Geeni app may cause the bulb to keep flashing. Deleting and re-installing the Geeni app on your phone should remove the bug.
The following guide will show you how to delete and reinstall the Geeni app on your phone:
- Go to your phone’s home screen.
- Press and hold the Geeni app. The Uninstall button will appear.
- Tap the Uninstall button to remove the Geeni app from your phone.
- Next, open the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Search for the Geeni app using the search bar on the home screen.
- Then click on the app in the search results. This will take you to the Geeni app download page.
- Tap on Install to reinstall the app to your phone.
After re-installing the Geeni app to your phone, you’ll need to restart the setup process for your Geeni bulb. The bulb should stop flashing once you finish setting it up. But if it doesn’t stop, continue to the next step.
5. Get a New Dimmer Switch for Your Bulb
If your Geeni bulb is flashing randomly, your dimmer switch might be faulty. In that case, you’ll need to get a new dimmer switch. The dimmer switch is the switch you use to control the brightness of your bulb.
You can order a replacement dimmer switch for your Geeni online.
Take the following steps to change your dimmer switch:
- Loosen the screws on your dimmer switch.
- Flip your circuit breaker to turn off the power in your home.
- Next, use your voltmeter to check if the dimmer switch still contains some electricity.
- After confirming that your dimmer switch has no electricity, detach the dimmer from the wall.
- Now, you’ll see two bolts holding wires to the electricity bolts in your wall. Loosen and remove these bolts.
- Also, push the wires outwards to prevent them from falling into the wall.
- Get your new dimmer and remove the surrounding straps.
- Hold the wires you pushed outwards earlier. Then, wrap them around the electricity poles in the wall.
- Then screw the bolts back onto the wires.
- Place your new dimmer switch on the wall.
- Next, fix the screws from the old dimmer switch onto the new dimmer.
- Now, flip your circuit breaker to turn on the power in your home.
If you can’t replace your dimmer switch yourself, hire an electrician to help you.
Is your Geeni bulb still flashing? If so, try the next step.
6. Factory Reset Your Geeni Bulb
If your Geeni bulb keeps flashing after you’ve applied all the steps above, factory reset the bulb.
Follow these steps to factory reset your Geeni bulb:
- Ensure the bulb is powered on.
- Go to the switch that controls the bulb and turn it off and on three times in a row.
- The bulb will start flashing rapidly, showing it’s reset. The rapid flashes also indicate the bulb is in Easy Mode and ready to pair.
- Return to the Geeni app and set up the bulb.
Your Geeni bulb should stop flashing once the setup is complete in the app.
However, if the bulb doesn’t stop flashing after this, consider getting a replacement as the bulb might be faulty.
If your Geeni bulb is flashing, remove and re-insert the bulb into its light slot. If this doesn’t help, try connecting the bulb to another light slot.
If your bulb keeps flashing, you might need to re-connect the bulb to Wi-Fi. You can also delete and re-install the Geeni app to fix the issue.
Other solutions you can try are changing your dimmer switch and factory resetting the bulb.
If your Geeni bulb is still flashing after you’ve applied all these tips, replace the bulb.