You want to set up your C by GE Smart Plug in the Cync app, so you have been trying to connect the plug to Wi-Fi. But the smart plug keeps failing to connect.
If that sounds like you, keep reading to see why this might be happening and how to fix it.
If your C by GE Smart Plug isn’t connecting, here are some behind this:
- You didn’t connect your phone to your home Wi-Fi network before starting the setup process.
- Your Wi-Fi router is turned off.
- Your Wi-Fi signal is weak.
- You are connected to a 5GHz Wi-Fi network.
- Your Wi-Fi router is not broadcasting.
Keep reading this article to learn how to resolve these problems.
C by GE Smart Plug Not Connecting: How to Troubleshoot
1. Connect your Smartphone to Your Wi-Fi
If your C by GE smart plug isn’t connecting to Wi-Fi, you may not have connected your phone to Wi-Fi.
The C by GE smart plug connects to Wi-Fi through the Cync app. That said, you need to use the Cync app on a phone that is connected to Wi-Fi. If you don’t, the plug won’t connect.
If your smart plug isn’t connecting to Wi-Fi, check that you’ve already connected your phone to Wi-Fi.
Here’s how to do that:
- Minimize the Cync app.
- Then, go to your phone’s home screen and click on the Settings app.
- Next, tap Wi-Fi.
- You’ll see whether the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- If your phone is not connected to Wi-Fi, click on your Wi-Fi network and connect your phone to it.
- After you’ve connected your phone to Wi-Fi, close the Cync app. Then, open the app and restart the setup process.
If your C by GE smart plug doesn’t connect after you’ve connected your phone to Wi-Fi, move on to the next step.
2. Ensure that Your Router is Turned On
Your C by GE smart plug won’t connect to the internet if your router is turned off. This is because your router needs to link your Wi-Fi network to your ISP to help the device access the internet.
If your smart plug isn’t connecting, check if your router is powered on. To do this, look for a solid green light on the router. This green light indicates that the router is turned on.
If you don’t see this light on your router, it means that the router is turned off. Turn on your router by pressing the switch at the power outlet where you’ve plugged the device.
3. Improve Your Wi-Fi Signal Strength
Your C by GE smart plug may be failing to connect because your Wi-Fi connection has poor signal strength. To check if your Wi-Fi signal strength is poor, study the Wi-Fi signal at the top of your phone’s screen.
If the Wi-Fi signal has less than 3 bars, your Wi-Fi connection is weak.
You can resolve this issue by rebooting your router.
To reboot your router, unplug the device from your power outlet and wait for 30 seconds. Then, re-plug the router back into the outlet.
Check your Wi-Fi signal after you’ve rebooted your router. If your Wi-Fi signal strength is still poor, reset your router.
Follow the steps below to reset your router:
- Locate the reset button on your router. You should find this button at the back of the router.
- Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
- Your router should start resetting now. The reset should be complete within a few minutes.
Has your Wi-Fi signal strength improved? If not, your router may be too far away from your phone. Move the router within 30 feet of your phone to fix this issue.
Your Wi-Fi signal should be stronger now, and your smart plug should connect to the internet. But if your smart plug doesn’t connect, try the next tip.
4. Switch to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Band
The C by GE smart plug only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks. So, if you try to connect the plug while broadcasting on a 5ghz Wi-Fi network, the connection will fail.
If your C by GE plug isn’t connecting to the internet, you’ll need to change your Wi-Fi band to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
Consult your router’s owner’s manual for details on how to switch to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
5. Contact Your ISP
If your C by GE plug doesn’t connect after you’ve tried all the tips above, your internet may not be working properly. Reach out to your ISP for a solution to the problem.
If your C by GE smart plug isn’t connecting, check that you have connected your smartphone to Wi-Fi. Then, ensure that your router is turned on.
If your smart plug doesn’t connect after that, improve your Wi-Fi signal strength and switch to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band. However, if none of the tips work, contact GE Lighting Customer Support for help.